Friday, April 6, 2012

The Dragon's Mate

  

            Caleb stood stretching, with a sigh he walks out to the ledge and looks out over the valley below. It is time once again for the villagers to give up a sacrifice. Foolish people thought every time they had a hang nail a virgin sacrifice would solve all their problems.  He really detested those people and did not care much for going to the valley. He could send one of the others, maybe his first in command Zarek to fetch the female but alas he would go. He was the prince; he would not put this burden upon any of the others.  It was difficult enough for him to be the thing the females feared most. Stepping from the ledge he spreads his wings and soars toward the valley.

###

                Lounging in a field of wildflowers Raven tries to contemplate what to do next.  Eyes closed, face tilted towards the sky she lets the warmth of the sun wash over her. What a beautiful day she thinks to herself, much too beautiful to die. She was outcast from her village just this morning, a sacrifice to the demons. It seems silly to be resting here among the flowers, her nostrils filling with their pungent scent.  Raven should be running far from this place, but where could she run to? It seems her destiny is to just wait for the grim reaper to show up and claim her.
Suddenly a large shadow moves over head, Raven jumps to her feet and starts to run. She knows instantly what the large shadow above her is, no need to look up. She spots a tree line up ahead; if she could just reach it maybe she could hide. A Dragon after all was far too cumbersome to make it through the trees. Yes this was a good plan she thought, to hell with becoming a sacrifice she wanted to live!
Caleb circles above the running female, gracefully gliding downward until he lands ever so gently a few feet in front of her.
Raven comes to a screeching halt, terror gripping her. There it is standing right before her blocking her path to the trees. They both stand staring at each other for the longest time. She is mesmerized; the creature has the most beautiful silver eyes. Dark crimson scales with an intricate gold swirling pattern along the chest and wings.
The Dragon leans towards her, inhaling deeply. She was sure it was going to either take a bite or set her on fire with its breath. But it seems more like it is—smelling her?  Maybe it is trying to decide if she is tasty enough to eat. Blanching she turns her head away in disgust, “p-please just get the deed over with, must you torment me with the waiting?”
Caleb just stands there unable to take his eyes off of her. She is beautiful, hair the color of a raven’s wings cascades down her back. Her skin is as pale as the moon and eyes of emerald green. There is something about her scent; it is as if—no it is not possible.
 Raven is now getting angry. What the hell is it waiting for? Granted she is not schooled in the ways of how a beast such as this takes its sacrifice but she was not about to become its play thing, a mouse to be slapped around by the big bad cat! Since there is no way to get out of this she just wants to get it over with. Just let me die quickly.  Jabbing her hands on her hips she yells “Come on you big oaf, what are you waiting for?”
So the female wants to play tuff? Caleb swings his massive head down to peer right in her eyes, his nostrils flair, steam releases in puffs as he snorts in and out. “So you wish to die my lady?” he asks in a throaty growl.
Raven’s eyes grow as wide as saucers and then blackness over takes her.

###

Slowly Raven’s eyes flutter open.  Am I dead she wonders? No this does not look like the pearly gates, but where am I?  Sitting up she looks around, trying to adjust to her surroundings. If she were to guess it looks like a cave of some sort, she could hear water thundering in the distance. The walls surrounding her were glistening like they had diamonds encrusted in them. Standing up to take a closer look, she realizes they really were diamonds. They were actually emitting light, which explains why the cave is not pitch black.
Suddenly she hears something coming; frightened she steps back into the shadows. Maybe it’s the Dragon; it could have brought her to this cave. Perhaps it is saving its meal for later.
However what appears before her is not a Dragon but a man, one the likes she has never seen before. He is tall, with muscles rippling across his chest. He wears no shirt so she can see that his skin is a golden tan. As he comes closer she notices a strange swirling pattern across his chest and down his biceps. It looks almost like the one the dragon had back in the valley.
“My lady” Caleb bows to her, “welcome to my home, I trust you are feeling better?”
“Y-yes, thank you. Who are you?”
Caleb reaches down takes her hand and brings it to his lips planting a delicate kiss. “It is my pleasure to welcome you. I am Caleb, prince of the Dragons.”
“My lord.” Raven bows “my name is Raven; I come from the village of Dakar.”
Still holding her hand, Caleb pulls Raven toward the sound of the thundering water that she had heard earlier. “Come my lady, I want to show you something wondrous.”
He leads her in to a large cavern. Raven gasps, she is awestruck by the sight before her. It is like she has entered another realm. There is a waterfall cascading into a pool so blue it reminds her of sapphires, and a lush forest for as far as she can see. There looks to be many people but it is hard to see them since they are both standing on a ledge looking down.
“It is beautiful” Raven replies “who are the people down there?”
“Some of those people are from your village. The women who were sent to sacrifice now live here among us. The men are my warriors.”
“You said you were the prince of the Dragons, what does that mean exactly? How is it that these women come to live here instead of becoming a sacrifice?” Raven starts to back away, ready to flee if necessary.
“Do not be frightened, I know you have many questions. I will try to explain as best as I can. You see we are a race of shape shifters, I am both Dragon and man.” Caleb pauses, waiting to see Raven’s reaction. When she just looks at him blinking but says nothing he continues.  “The women from your village are our destined mates chosen by the gods. It would seem Raven that you have been chosen to be my mate.”
Laughing hysterically Raven is almost crying. “You expect me to believe that you can change into a Dragon? That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard!”
Right before her eyes Caleb begins to transform. First the Dragon appears transparent as if covering Caleb’s body. Then suddenly there in front of her is the Dragon from the valley, looking upon her with those beautiful silver eyes.
Dropping his head down to the ground he whispers “it is really me my love. How would you like to fly, to feel the wind blowing in your hair and your body floating in the air? Here, climb upon my head.”
Raven hesitates at first but the thought of flying makes her feel giddy. “You promise not to hurt me?”
“I promise on my life, come let me introduce you to my world.”
Climbing on his head she situates herself on his neck, she grabs ahold of one of his horns “ok I am ready.” I think.
Caleb spreads his enormous wings and steps off the ledge. Gliding, he grabs an air current and almost seems to float high above the forest below. He begins to circle making a gradual decent to the floor of the cavern below them. When he finally lands he turns his head to look back at Raven. “Did you enjoy that my lady?”
“Oh indeed, it was—well I don’t have words to express how wonderful it was. Can we do it again?” By this time Raven is laughing with joy.
With a chuckle Caleb drops his head to the ground so she can dismount. “I can do better than that, once you become my queen you will be able to fly yourself. We can soar together to the heavens if that is your wish.”
Raven frowns, “Surely you jest. I cannot fly; one must have wings to fly.”
“When you become my wife we will perform the mating ritual. We will exchange blood by making a slice in our wrists; our wrists will then be bound together with the sacred sash. This will cause our blood to mingle and you will gain my powers. You will then be a shape shifter like me. Come; let me introduce you to the others. I think you will better understand then.”
Leading her to the water’s edge he approaches Zarek and his wife. “Raven this is Zarek my first in command and his wife Elizabeth. This is Raven; you’re soon to be queen.”
Zarek and Elizabeth both bow, Zarek replies “my lady we are pleased that you have finally come to join us.”
Raven looks at Elizabeth and exclaims “I cannot believe it is really you! Tell me how you came to be here.”
Elizabeth smiles “the same as you my lady, Caleb brought me here from the valley. That is how I met Zarek my beloved. He explained how we were destined by the gods to become mates. We performed the mating ritual and I am now like him.  I have never been happier, I love Zarek very much. All the women from the valley have come to live happier lives here.”
At that moment Caleb drops to one knee, taking Raven’s hand in his. “Raven my love; I am destined to be your protector, lover and provider. I promise you will never want or need for anything. I will love and cherish you for eternity. Will you accept me as your husband?”
A hush falls over the entire forest; everyone holds their breath waiting for Raven to answer.
“My lord, it seems that you offer me more than I could ever hope for.” She looks around for a moment at everything before her. “Yes, Caleb I will become your wife.”

###

Later that evening the mating ritual is performed. After the blood exchange is complete Raven looks up at Caleb, what a handsome warrior, strong and proud, I am a very luck lady. She knows at that moment that she will love him for eternity.
Placing a kiss on Raven’s lips Caleb whispers, “Come my queen, let us fly!” Together they shift to their Dragon form and soar for the heavens. Each with a big smile, Caleb has finally found his true love and Raven not only has found love but she can fly!

1 comment:

  1. I wrote this to enter in a short story fantasy about a shape shifter. As they say practice makes perfect.

    Aurora

    ReplyDelete